Sunday 5 January 2014

Katie Journal Entries #4

               This book had many different effects on me. I felt many different emotions while reading this book. In my opinion it started off very slow. I was bored because her life until she gave birth was very boring. She had a daily routine that consisted of doing pretty much the exact same thing every day in Walmart. Once Novalee had her baby and was getting ready to leave the hospital her mom showed up and tricked Novalee into giving her mom all her money. At this point in the book I was extremely mad at Novalee’s mom. After that point the book began to excite me. Novalee and Americus started their new life living with Sister Husband and spending lots of time with Forney. Once Sister husband passed away I felt very sad for Novalee because it was like she lost her mom. I felt her sorrow because I am very close with my mom. I also felt Novalee’s joy when she succeeded to build her own house. She saved up all of her money and succeeded to have enough to build her dream house for her and Americus. I know the joy that she felt because I just bought myself an iPad that costs 1000$. Near the end of the book it was getting very exciting. Novalee’s photography career was taking off and so was her romance with Forney, finally.  Then suddenly she got a call from the hospital saying Willy Jack needed her. Willy Jack had no legs and was far away from his home town. I was very upset at this point in the book because he basically left her to die. She did not even know 1 person in the town when he left her. Novalee was such a caring person that she drove Willy all the way back to where he came from. I was very mad at this point because Willy Jack did not deserve this kindness. Overall this book had many different effects on me, but I loved it.

1 comment:

  1. HI Katie!
    I read all your comments and they were interesting. You selected a variety of perspectives and indicated how certain plot points reminded you of areas in your life. I liked the comment about Willy Jack. I agree - who would be so mean?
    I also liked your comment about how things picked up (as in the pace of the book) as Novalee started to meet new people and started to enjoy some good fortune. Well done Katie. Keep it up. Ms. Morton

    ReplyDelete