Wednesday 8 January 2014

Brooklyn's Journal Entry #2

After reading this book, many of my thoughts and outlooks on life are now different. My thoughts on what it means to be happy, what it means to be loved, and how to appreciate what you have in life have changed a lot. 

The topic of "what it means to be happy" is explored quite a bit in this book. I don't think anyone can ever really understand or know the answer to this question, until you are truly happy. Before reading this novel i didn't really know what to make of this question. I thought you needed the perfect life, like the lives people have in movies, to be completely happy. A beautiful house with a perfect family, with everything you could ever ask for. But after reading this book, I realize that that's not the case at all. To be happy, you just need to do what makes you happy. It can be as simple as that. Novalee shared the same outlooks on happiness as me at the beginning of this novel, but as the novel progresses, Novalee realizes that she's happy with what she has. As long as she's with Sister Husband, Forney, Americus and everyone else she cares about, she can be happy. She realises that she doesn't need the big picture perfect house with a perfect family and all those material items to be happy, she just needs to be around the people she loves.

This book made me appreciate life, and what I have in life much better. Sometimes I get greedy, just like everyone else in the world does, and I forget to appreciate what I have. But after reading this novel, I realize that I have so much more than I thought to appreciate in life. I have a family who loves me and I'm not pregnant, and much more. Novalee didn't even have these things, but she is still so happy and thankful and appreciative of everything she has. If she can be so incredibly happy with what she has, then I should have the same attitude towards my life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment