Wednesday 8 January 2014

Brooklyn's Journal Entry #3


The novel "Where the Heart is" had many effects on me. It made me feel sad, scared, angry and so many other emotions. It is such an amazing book, and an emotional roller coaster.

In the beginning of the book, I was intrigued. I liked Novalee's character right away. She has such a positive outlook on life and is a generally happy person. But Willy Jack was never a character I liked. He is nothing like Novalee. He is a rude and negative person.
When Willy Jack left Novalee at the Wal-mart I felt so bad for Novalee. A great person like her did not deserve to be abandoned while she was pregnant at a Wal-mart on the side of the road. I also felt immediate hate for Willy Jack
Throughout the book I was always interested and excited to turn the page. I thought it was so amazing that Novalee had gotten so much out of one little town. So many people from around the world sent her encouraging letters, she met so many amazing people like Sister Husband, Lexi, Forney, all her neighbors, Moses and more. She made an amazing life for her and Americus right there in that little town, which is amazing.
The saddest part of the book was when Sister Husband died in the tornado. She was so loving and caring and she meant so much to Novalee. She was one of the best characters in the novel. This part of the novel was quite upsetting even though Sister husband was old and it was her  time to go.
I found that this book had a strange ending. Novalee decided to drive Willy Jack back to where he belonged despite everything he had done to her. At first i was confused, but after thinking about it I understood. Willy Jack had ditched Novalee at the Wal-mart and if he hadn't she would never have met all these amazing people and created an amazing and perfect life for herself. His actions were a blessing in disguise so she decided to help him out one last time.

No comments:

Post a Comment