Sunday 5 January 2014

Katie Journal Entires #2


Where the heart is, is a great book and there are certain aspects that make the book. One of the aspects that this novel has is its extremely unpredictable.

At the very beginning of the book I was very surprised when Willy Jack left Novalee. I figured that Willy Jack would return out of guilt because what monster could just leave a pregnant woman stranded. He never returned which made me dislike him very much. On the day that Americus turned seven months she was kidnapped. There were no clues leading up to this it just suddenly happened. Novalee ended up finding her in a nativity scene. I love reading books that are unpredictable. I also figured that Sister Husband would be in the entire book because she was very important to Novalee. Suddenly there was a tornado and Sister Husband passed away. I did not see this coming at all. I would say that the most intense part of the book was when Lexie’s children were molested by her latest boyfriend. Novalee was called by Lexie’s second oldest child and Novalee found them all traumatized and Lexie in need for severe medical attention. This part of the book was so intense and not expected at all. Lexie had only mentioned how great it was to have a guy who cared for her family. Then he turned around and scarred her children for life. This was not expected. One evening Benny Goodluck showed up at Novalee’s doorstep crying.  He was explaining how has never kissed a girl and did not have a prom date. Novalee went up to him and kissed him right out of nowhere. It was very surprising. I figured she would give him advice and hope that someday he would find someone to kiss him. Since they have such a big age difference I did not figure she would actually kiss him.


If a book is predictable it is very boring to me. I like being surprised while I read and left wanting to continue. That is why the unpredictability of this book makes it.

No comments:

Post a Comment